Joey, his brother Elijah, Grandmother Kate and Librarian Nancy
Being a Community Friend
By Nancy Pew, Children’s Librarian at the Lake City Branch
Recently, a frequent user of the Lake City Branch came in to tell me her family will soon be moving to Everett. She said her grandson, Joey, age 8, doesn't want to move because he won't be able to visit me at the library.
Joey is in second grade and is homeschooled by his grandmother. They come to library with Joey’s younger brother two or three times a week. Have I helped Joey find many library materials? Not many. Have I been present with him and admired the notes and pictures he makes for me on the little pieces of scratch paper we keep by the desk every time he comes in? Yes. Do we have a relationship? Oh, yes!
Joey says I’m one of his “community friends”-- not to be confused with his church friends or his other types of friends. How great to be such an integral part of a young person’s life. Joey’s grandmother has promised him they will come once a week to see me after the move.
This family has been through a lot in the past year--unemployment, the sudden and unexpected death of Joey's aunt and much more. The library staff has been there to witness the progression of this process and to be part of the network of support for the whole family.
The other day I mentioned how well the grandmother was doing in the wake of her daughter's death. She told me she was going to grief counseling which she found through resources I gave her. The grandmother said I had found a niche, no, I had found a calling as librarian with a big heart.
The more I travel this road, the more I realize that I am here to support and encourage people to grow by being a companion in their search for whatever brings them to the library. That could be finding a book, a special website, or the phone number for community services. I am honored and humbled that I can be a blessing to others just by doing my job.

No comments:
Post a Comment