Monday, October 11, 2010

Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting

10/3/2010


Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting



The longer I work in the library the harder it is for me to pass someone looking lost and confused on the street and not make eye contact, at which point I usually end up doing my best to give directions, explain how you buy tickets for light rail, etc. (I suspect this is a common problem among library workers.)



The other day, I was in a ladies' room at U Village when I noticed a woman standing in the middle of the room, staring at a piece of paper, wearing the sort of distressed look people get when they try to do difficult math in their heads or have been handed a government document call number and have no idea what to do next.



Painfully aware of how odd it might sound, and yet helpless to stop myself, I said, "I don't mean to intrude, but is there anything I can help you with?" The lady brightened immediately. It turned out that she was trying to figure out the way from point A to point B and was all confused about how the local roads changed names and where the busses stopped. I called up a map and some bus information on my phone, then showed her which way was North, which resolved the problem.



"Thank you so much!" she said.



"No problem! I'm a librarian. It's what we do," said I.



"Of course you are! And if I hadn't been so upset, I would have remembered that I can just call Quick Information in my time of need. What a wonderful institution the library is."

Posted at 1:10 PM by Anne Cisney
Category: Library anecdote
Permalink
Comments (11)
Edit: Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XsnLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 FileType xsn 255

Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XmlLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 ProgId InfoPath.Document 255

Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XmlLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 ProgId InfoPath.Document.2 255

Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XmlLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 ProgId InfoPath.Document.3 255

Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XmlLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 ProgId InfoPath.Document.4 255

View in Web Browser /_layouts/images/ichtmxls.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/xlviewer.aspx?listguid={ListId}&itemid={ItemId}&DefaultItemOpen=1 0x0 0x1 FileType xlsx 255

View in Web Browser /_layouts/images/ichtmxls.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/xlviewer.aspx?listguid={ListId}&itemid={ItemId}&DefaultItemOpen=1 0x0 0x1 FileType xlsb 255

Snapshot in Excel /_layouts/images/ewr134.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/xlviewer.aspx?listguid={ListId}&itemid={ItemId}&Snapshot=1 0x0 0x1 FileType xlsx 256

Snapshot in Excel /_layouts/images/ewr134.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/xlviewer.aspx?listguid={ListId}&itemid={ItemId}&Snapshot=1 0x0 0x1 FileType xlsb 256





Comments

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting



Anne- you are so awesome. You went beyond your call of duty to help someone in need. This speaks highly of you, not only as a librarian, but also as a very nice individual. Thank you!

Truc Ha at 10/3/2010 2:42 PM

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting Edit



Lovely interaction, Anne! And thanks for sharing this story.



I, too, find myself helping people with information wherever I am and explaining that I am a librarian!

Nancy Pew at 10/3/2010 4:53 PM

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting Edit



And clearly, we all need to carry the tools of the trade with us at all times.

Nancy Pew at 10/3/2010 4:55 PM

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting



Whenever I whip out my iPhone to help a confused tourists downtown or someone lost on a bus I'm reminded how awesome it would be if (someday, hopefully soon) libraries could expand into smaller information points in busy places where we can answer these questions during our working hours, not just on our way home from work or on our days off!

Jennifer Robinson at 10/4/2010 9:03 AM

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting



Ironically I also find myself offering help to those in need, those with "that look" on their faces, those who find themselves on level 11 and can't find a specific cubicle or need help figuring our one of our "time-saving" machines - and I'm not even a librarian!

Elizabeth Kassoff at 10/4/2010 9:13 AM

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting



Elizabeth - That's me! You're always pointing my way to the right cubicle. I have a sneaky suspicion that the 11th floor moves people around just for the fun of confusing others. :)

Meagan Sterkel at 10/4/2010 9:38 AM

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting



Awesome, Anne! (maybe that could be your action figure name) >.<

I was laughing with a friend about the same phenomenom the other day - I'm always "on" as a librarian helping people or being approached for help when I'm not in a library building.

Jen - right?! Librarians with iPads (or similar) can act as a service point at so many different locations in the community.

Mahina Oshie at 10/4/2010 11:03 AM

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting



Anne, you are awesome & kind! I also find myself in "librarian mode" even outside of work. Recently, I was in a check-out stand at Safeway, and an older asian man was very confused because he did not get the sale price for his bananas. I was a little irritated with the cashier, who was already on the next person (me), while the man stood there pointing to his reciept. Anyhow, I ended up helping him. It turned out he had a Safeway card, but didnt have it on him, and couldnt figure out how to get the sale price without it. I showed him where he could enter his phone number into the pad when he forgets his card. He thanked me several times on his way out, and this made my day!

Tina Mat at 10/4/2010 11:53 AM

Ditto - on being the helpful lady to folks trying to find bus stops...



Love this string of comments on a great anecdote! Ditto for me, too - on being the helpful lady to folks trying to find bus stops, wondering if they are waiting in the right place for the train to the airport (I helped a gang of perplexed tourists in the bus tunnel this weekend) and talking patrons through finding things on our spl website while I'm doing our fundraising calls (people are loving me taking them to the new BiblioCommons, to the Gutenberg Project on OverDrive, the links to ConsumerReports, Mago & Homework Help). I guess we all have the Helpful Hints from Heloise genes in us all!

Elizabeth Carpenter at 10/4/2010 2:55 PM

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting



I get stopped all the time too, so I'm glad to hear that it is not just me! I have been stopped at U Village also, as well as Target, the grocery store, and even in Europe! We must exude some sort of "Meeting your Information Need" pheromone.

Thanks for sharing, Anne!

Treasure Samuel at 10/4/2010 7:11 PM

Re: Kudos to the library, in an unglamorous setting Edit



Last night I helped a co-worker via Facebook find out how to find Mango on our web page. Even people who work here appreciate help to navigate our systems!



Can the library issue us smart phones as we become more "officially" embedded in our communities?



Keep sharing those stories about the real "outcomes" of our service!

Nancy Pew at 10/5/2010 11:22 AM

Add Comment

Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XsnLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 FileType xsn 255

Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XmlLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 ProgId InfoPath.Document 255

Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XmlLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 ProgId InfoPath.Document.2 255

Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XmlLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 ProgId InfoPath.Document.3 255

Edit in Browser /_layouts/images/icxddoc.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XmlLocation={ItemUrl}&OpenIn=Browser 0x0 0x1 ProgId InfoPath.Document.4 255

View in Web Browser /_layouts/images/ichtmxls.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/xlviewer.aspx?listguid={ListId}&itemid={ItemId}&DefaultItemOpen=1 0x0 0x1 FileType xlsx 255

View in Web Browser /_layouts/images/ichtmxls.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/xlviewer.aspx?listguid={ListId}&itemid={ItemId}&DefaultItemOpen=1 0x0 0x1 FileType xlsb 255

Snapshot in Excel /_layouts/images/ewr134.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/xlviewer.aspx?listguid={ListId}&itemid={ItemId}&Snapshot=1 0x0 0x1 FileType xlsx 256

Snapshot in Excel /_layouts/images/ewr134.gif /MessageBoard/_layouts/xlviewer.aspx?listguid={ListId}&itemid={ItemId}&Snapshot=1 0x0 0x1 FileType xlsb 256





Title



Body





Font NameReal font size

RadEditor hidden textarea

DesignHTMLPreview






















































































Attachments









Use this page to add attachments to an item.

Name

No comments:

Post a Comment